Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Laundry Day - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly


It's laundry day, hooray! Said no one ever. I hate doing laundry. Perhaps it's the 10+ years of working at the GAP and having to fold endlessly. I put laundry day off until I have to absolutely do it. The good thing is I have a stacking washer and dryer in my apartment. A true luxury in New York city. A lot of people have to go to a laundromat. Ugh. So I guess I shouldn't complain.

The above photo is what most people think of as a "dream laundry room".  I know when I lived in St. Paul and had my laundry room in our basement, this is what I would have loved. Clean, organized, bright. You want to be in there pre-treating stains, folding, and pressing shirts. Reality is shown below!


Dark, dingy, and a hot mess. The dank smell of the floor drain wafting into the room. Bad florescent light. A messy slop sink spattered with paint. Simply ugly and gross. Some easy fixes - clean it up. Paint a brighter, happier color. Get shelving, baskets, etc. to keep things organized. Use the top photo as inspiration and motivation.

Our washer and dryer are in a small closet in our apartment. they are Bosch, and work great. The dryer is electric, and non-vented, so it blows hot air into our apartment. This is great in the winter - the summer, not so great. Plus it take about 2 hours to dry one load. The washer sounds like a jet engine when it's in the spin cycle. It's loud, but I'm not complaining!

What does your dream laundry room look like? How can you improve what you have now?

No comments: