Wednesday, November 21, 2012

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year



It's that time of year, again. The Holidays. They pretty much happen around the same time, every year. So why are so many people surprised that Thanksgiving is already here? Do people have calendars? I am sure they own smart phones. Create a reminder, buy turkey, send cards, put up decorations. What a great tool to keep yourself organized.

Five minutes of planning saves forty-five minutes of work. Channel your inner Martha Stewart. Slow it down. Enjoy it. I recall when I was a kid my Dad saying "Merry f*cking Christmas, Ho, Ho, Ho" as he struggled to untangle the lights, or be stuck in traffic to get into the mall. I have often turned to singing sarcastic Christmas Carols to maintain my sanity. "It's the MOST wonderful time of the year!"

25 years of retail will burn anyone out on the holidays. Months of that dreadful music. Hours spent planning, implementing and mainting floor sets and inventory. And the crazy people. How did I ruin your Thanksgiving lady? You choose to wait a week before to get a table and chairs, and now it's on back order. What were you up to in September or October? You probably do your grocery shopping on the Wednesday night before Turkey Day?

I am going to try my best to get in the spirit this year. I will not let the crazed and stressed people get to me. I have put up some lights and garland on my balcony already. I have my cards purchased, and I might even fill them out on Thanksgiving. I may even put on some holiday tunes! I am thankful where I work now we do not play any Christmas Music, or put any decorations up. That way, I can actually enjoy it at home. I feel bad for those who have to endure it still. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.....

What do you do to keep yourself sane during the Holidays? Any tips and tricks?

No comments: