Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Travel is Important to the Soul


Blue Mosque
Inside the Hagia Sophia

Istanbul is an extraordinary place. Amazing sites, sounds, tastes, smells and a great sense of history. Travel is important to re-energize your spirit. It allows you to get a better understanding of your place in the world and the universe. You open yourself to new experiences and different cultures. The more I travel, the more I realize humans are more similar then we all think. I miss the calls to prayer, even the one before the sun comes up! And the food, out of this world. It was super easy to find vegetarian options almost everywhere we went.
Hummus
Baklava
Meze in a Shop window
Meze at our first meal.
Turkish Tea
Turkish Coffee. I preferred it extra sweet.


I find myself searching for things that remind me of Istanbul. For example, The New York Islamic Cultural Center in the photo below, is not too far from our condo. I have yet to find Efes Beer. There are several Turkish restaurants we will have try in the near future.
Our next trip we are going to visit somewhere on the East Coast, perhaps Boston. That's only a short train ride away compared to the flight to Turkey!

No comments: